OAK BROOK, Ill. — An immersive indoor theme park featuring attractions and themed dining experiences from some of Sony’s most iconic films is coming to Oakbrook Center.
The new theme park, which is the studio’s first immersive entertainment destination, is coming to Oak Brook in December and will occupy a portion of the space that formerly housed Sears.
The immersive experience, called “Wonderverse,” will feature escape rooms, interactive exhibits, VR experiences, bumper cars and racing simulators based on several film franchises.
“Wonderverse is an exciting expansion for Sony Pictures’ growing location-based entertainment experiences,” Jeffrey Godsick, EVP of Global Partnerships and Brand Management and Head of Location Based Entertainment at Sony Pictures, said. “Experiences like Wonderverse provide audiences the opportunity to enjoy our brands in new ways by immersing themselves in some of their favorite stories.”
According to the Wonderverse website, guests will have the chance to enjoy food and refreshments from the themed dining spaces and hidden bars. The new theme park will also offer guests the chance to purchase themed merchandise from shops that will be housed in the 45,000-square-foot space.
The Oakbrook Center website says the coming attraction will offer a hybrid of physical and multi-media experiences.
According to Sony, the new theme park will offer the following attractions:
- Uncharted: The Pursuit – An escape room based on the hit video game franchise and film.
- Ghostbusters: Virtual Reality Academy – Two virtual reality experiences where players try and outsmart and capture ghosts.
- Pacific Playland – An area based on the film Zombieland that features arcade classics and offers guests the chance to win prizes.
- Jumanji: Reverse the Curse – A virtual reality experience that sends players on a quest to complete tasks and “reverse the curse.”
- Bad Boys Racing Club: A Miami-themed racing simulator based on the Bad Boys film series.
- The Ghost Trap – A hidden speakeasy based on the Ghostbusters film Franchise.
- 21 Jump Street Pop-up Bar – A limited-time pop-up bar experience that takes guests “back to school.”
“We’re thrilled to be the first location for Sony Pictures Entertainment’s Wonderverse and have it as our largest entertainment option at Oakbrook Center”, Tim Geiges, Senior General Manager of Oakbrook Center said. “We often hear from guests how they love our mix of entertainment, so we’re excited to offer a completely new experience for them to enjoy, especially as we approach the colder months.”
The new theme park will offer guests a preview of the experience in December before a grand opening is held in January.
Entry to the new theme park will be free, but tickets for the attractions will be sold separately.
Suggest a Correction